Originated from a cross of Obsidian x Eaton
Plants are thorny
Bushes have trailing canes
Fruit weight is 8 g
Berries have a oblong shape
Fruiting habit - floricane fruiting (summer-bearing)
Flowering on floricanes starts in the third week of March
Ripening date (regular) - first week of June
Productivity is 7000 kg from ha
Soluble solids - 9.2%
Cold hardiness is low
Country of origin - United States
Patent US PP23,270 P3 dated December 25, 2012
Current status - obsolete or rarely used
The following traits have been observed and are determined to be the main characteristics of HJ-6:
- Consistent production of good quality fruit, regardless of the time of year and the age of the plant;
- Large fruit size;
- Thorny and trailing stems;
- Fruit production is starting in early June with peak production in late June, continued limited production through July and August.
- The peak fruit production of HJ-6 occurs later than Obsidian;
- In holding testing after picking, the average flavor rating was the same, but HJ-6 rated higher in appearance than Obsidian after various days in cold storage;
- HJ-6 has produced more commercial quality fruit than Obsidian, and a smaller percentage of non-commercial quality fruit per ha.
HJ-6 variety is susceptible to spider mite. Winter hardiness is very low.
Download HJ-6 patent US00PP23270P3